Career in Publishing
Publishing as Career
Publishing is a process of providing printed information through books, magazines, journals, newspapers, database and directories to broadcast idea.
Primarily, publishing was restricted only to print media such as books and newspapers. Digital Information systems and the Internet, has also spreads the scope of it to electronic media. Now a days virtual books (e-books) are also available.
To build a career in the field of publishing, one has to gain knowledge about its several techniques, which includes development, acquisition, copyediting, graphic designing, production, printing, marketing and distribution of written materials and information through various media.
In India, publishing as a career can prove very profitable and valuable, because it has gained importance in both print and electronic media. In the present time, many institutes in India are imparting courses in publishing. After finishing their course in the same, students can join any private or government publishing house as a sub editor or assistance editor, production in-charge, sales & marketing manager or they can work as a freelancer.
- After XII (any subject), graduation/postgraduation in journalism are suitable for shouldering editorial responsibility.
- Computing skills are required for word processing.
Graduates of Art/ graphic designers/commercial art/photography/ calligraphy can join the art department.
Class XII (PCM) followed by a diploma in printing technology can join the production department
Few listed institutes in India includes courses in publishing are:
- Institute of Printing Technology (Kerala)
Govt. Institute of Printing Technology (Andhra Pradesh)
- National Book Trust
- Shankar's Academy of Art and Book Publishing
- Institute Of Book Publishing (Delhi)
- Maharashtra Institute of Printing Technology
- Govt Institute of Printing Technology (Bangalore)
- Sadhna Academy for Media Studies (Noida, Uttar Pradesh)
- Institute of Printing Technology (Chennai)